Sunday 13 December 2015

Practical Task- Typography

Harlem Sunset title screen typography practical

Using Paint.Net, an image editing software, I was able to create my 'Harlem sunset' typography. I wanted to take a modernist approach to the making of the title, so from film noir into a neo-noir.  

 Step one:
I got an image of a sunset which I copy and pasted as my background and selected the sunset outline, then blacked out the rest.
Step two:
Next I found a concrete wall image, and merged it with the sunset layer. This makes an industrial image, conforming to our theme of film noir, but the sunset adds the hint of red which conforms to neo-noir.

 
step three:
 On 1001 fonts generator, an online collection of various fonts.  I found the sans serif font to go over the sunset. I liked the fact that it seemed smudged or burnt out which went with the sunset image.   


 
 
Second Photo Edit
 
Step one:
I selected a concrete wall image with some stairs which I though looked mysterious, like it was going into some sort of den. 

 

 
Step two:
I added a sun light image in the corner, which makes it seem more mysterious as you can't see the outside. Using a similar process to the previous picture, I went back to 1001 font generator and found a more block lettered sans-serif font which looked smeared.    

 
 
The result:  

 

Evaluation :

 In the beginning the design process was slow as I was getting used to the software, but when I played around with the software a bit more it became more easy to use.
Overall I prefer the first edit that I did as it has more relevance to the title though it's not all black and white or the conventional typography of film noir, in a previous deconstruction I found that film noir in the 1950's adapted their typographies to colour.  
 



No comments:

Post a Comment