Wednesday 2 December 2015

Practical Task - Location Scouting Two

Location Scouting Part Two

In my previous location scouting post I looked at alleyways near my house which could be useful. After discussing the plot more as a group we realised we would need to use some kind of room, and decided that a garage would be suitable. So, I began by taking pictures of a garage that I would have access to at my grandmother's house. However, the garage had a brick wall behind it which may seem inappropriate for the office of a detective. It might, however, be useful for a short scene with another character we have planned. 

















It would be hard to get shots without the garage door being visible, which may make this ideal for the shot of the kidnapper recording his message as an industrial, warehouse kind of setting may be suitable for this.

As I was taking these pictures, I realised that my grandmother's actual house may be suitable to film in as much of her décor is quite old fashioned and she had a good sized study which would be ideal to use as a detective's office. The study also has slitted blinds which would be interesting to try and create lighting effects with. 
















As you can see, modern technology such as a laptop and printer would need to be removed prior to filming, but she has given me permission to clear the office for filming so this should be achievable. We would have to be careful not to include things like the mains socket and the modern looking radiator in any of our shots to make it more authentic of the era. 

Here are some examples of other old fashioned looking places that could be filmed. Close ups of certain objects could be used as a series of establishing shots at the beginning of the opening to set the scene of the house and suggest the time period to the audience. 


















I also filmed some shots of the house and compiled them into a video in order give a clearer picture of each of the rooms. However, the camera work is quite shaky as I didn't have access to a tripod at the time. 


Overall, I think the location is ideal as much of the furniture is time period appropriate and there aren't many major modern looking features of the rooms which would be hard to get rid of. However, as I live quite far away from the rest of the group, it means we'd have to have very few filming sessions as it would be difficult to keep meeting up many times if we were to use this location. I think if filmed and edited correctly with the right props included then this setting would look very effective.

No comments:

Post a Comment