Monday 8 February 2016

Practical Task - Title Creation

Creating the Title Sequence

In this blog post I create the titles that will be shown throughout our film opening. In examples I've found, such as in The Letter, the titles are large and cover the full screen over the top of the footage rather than small and in the corner so I have created titles like these. 


I used the same font, AR Blanca which I previously used in my typography, and impact as I felt the two contrasted well. I used this image for inspiration of the titles that should be used. 

As there are more titles than there are people in our group, I researched some famous names in film noir that could be used. I decided on using Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall as the leading actors as they were two of the biggest names in film noir and frequently worked together. I also used Robert Siodmak, one of the leading directors of many film noirs. I assigned the people in our group roles similar to some of our contributions, for example Mindi as wardrobe because she had to find her femme fatale costume.

Here are some examples of the titles:


Currently, they don't look so effective as they're transparent images but hopefully they will look authentic once added to our production. I tried to make them quite similar to the title typography I previously made. I applied drop shadow to the text to emphasise it more using these settings:

I also used the glow effect which I have previously used. To do this I duplicated the text layers and applied a Gaussian blur to the new layer and lowered it's opacity to 50%. Here's a side by side comparison of the text with and without this effect.


I like this effect a lot because it makes the text seem much more dated and fuzzy as opposed to clean cut. This is an example of what the layers of each of the titles look like:

Overall I am pleased with the way my text looks, and hope that it will be just as effective once edited into the film.

No comments:

Post a Comment