Monday 8 February 2016

Practical Task: Colour Isolation 2

I attempted the colour isolation technique again, despite my previous failure. This time I used a much simpler piece of footage, taken from our film noir opening. I decided I wanted the light from the tape recorder to remain green whilst the rest of the clip was in black and white.
At first it seemed to work very well after some adjustment to the "similarity" setting. The clip was in black and white and the entirety of the green light was in colour.

However, when I looked at this part of the clip, I noticed it had caused issues due to the similar colour values of the yellow curtains and the green light. I resolved this by using the blade tool to cut the clip and only apply the filter to the shots of the tape recorder. Here is the finished product.


Overall I think this was a helpful exercise, as I discovered that the color pass filter works in certain shots. With this knowledge I could use it sparingly in our finished piece. Typically, light coloured objects on dark backgrounds or vice versa work best.

No comments:

Post a Comment