Thursday 4 February 2016

Editing Task - Sound

Sound Editing Practical

Finding Sound

All sound used in our film opening had to be uncopyrighted and royalty free. I started by looking at websites such as purple planet and incompetech. I searched specifically for jazz music as we had already established that this was the genre of music most suited to film noir. Other members of the group had already edited music into the film however I wanted to see if I could find anything more suitable. 

Eventually, I found this video on YouTube. 


The music is royalty free and made by the YouTube uploader who said it is free to use. I feel like this music is suitable for our production as it has classic jazz instruments such as the saxophone and has a low, downbeat feel to it.


Here is the track edited into our film. The other music tracks we were using at first are still there but disabled, as I hadn't yet discussed the change in soundtrack with the group and I didn't want to delete it in case they still wanted to use the other one.


I also used the fade handles on the music to get it to fade in and out at the end to make sound more smooth.



Also seen in the screenshot is an eerie soundtrack. Because our film starts to get darker at the end I wanted to see if it was possible to add a creepy undertone to the music to change the atmosphere without entirely changing the music. I added this clip quietly under the main soundtrack as it started to get darker.


However, I'm not sure how effective this was as at times it sounds quite crowded and at others it's difficult to pick up.

Finally, as the tension really starts to build up at the end I edited in this sound clip as it builds up quickly and I stopped it just as the shoe hits to give it more of an impact. I also edited in a series of booms at the dramatic moments.





I think the war horn sound effect was particularly effective as it builds up slowly so adds to the rising tension of our piece. I also liked the boom as it gives the audience more of a shock.


No comments:

Post a Comment