Monday 8 February 2016

Practical Task - Filters

Filters Practical Task

As well as our film being in black and white, to give it a more authentic old movie feel I wanted to create an overlay in Photoshop which could be put over the top of the video. I began by using a few of the effects in this tutorial, however not all of them, such as the glow effect, could be applied to a video as the tutorial is just for editing a picture. I made the filter in the dimensions 1920x1080 px as this is what I believe the dimensions in Final Cut Pro are. This is the screenshot from our footage I'm using to test the effects.















From the tutorial, I used the edges effect which uses a layer mask.















I then decreased the opacity of the mask and used a Gaussian blur to make the edges softer. 















I then used the grain texture and added noise to give an old and worn effect.















I then added a black and white adjustment layer to see what the filter will look like once it's on a black and white video. I used a high contrast black and white as this makes it seem like there are more shadows which are an important element of film noir. 















Finally, I applied this image with a low opacity to make it seem more specky as in old cinema there were lots of specks on the screen.




































I also applied the filter to a screenshot from the other location, inside the house, used in our film to make sure it looked appropriate in both settings.






















Overall, I am pleased with the outcome and think it will make our film more authentic and fitting with the genre. 

No comments:

Post a Comment