Friday 5 February 2016

Editing part 2 post production of Harlem Sunset

Editing

 During the next stage of editing we went back through the editing, in order to improve our fade to colour transition.


We added a clip on the end and deleted them, which left us with this blank frame, and I used blade to split it so I could move the two parts.    



 
  • When I had moved one piece between these two transitions (as seen above)but I stretched the blank frame in order to trim it later in case the blank frame was too short. Which it was. This was so the transition became lengthened, giving it a cleaner finish than the last time I left it.  


  • When we reviewed the clips where I had put the transitions I concluded that there wasn't enough emphasis on the collision of the shot of the shoe and the 'detective'. As a result using a YouTube converter that Xena had found, she was able to find non-copyrighted 'boom sounds' on a separate Mac. As a group we decided on the sound appropriate sound to use, and she was able to email the link to me in order for me to input it into the converter.    


  • Later on after I had the 'boom sound' in place, the scene had looked good, however the non-diegetic sound had diminished the effect of the rest of the (climatic) scene and didn't do the rest of the scene justice with just one 'boom sound'. As a result I added three more, after every fade to colour transition and also at the end. 
  • Once I added the 'boom sound' I noticed that they seemed out of place with our other sullen, slow paced, non-diegetic soundtrack. Using the YouTube converter we found suspense music, which the whole group had decided on and layered this onto the existing music track to build suspense once the protagonist (femme fatale) appears for the first time in the narrative.       

  • To make sure that everything was in order I reviewed the footage with the blinking effects however I thought it seemed illogical to show the close up of the detective's face, with his eyes struggling to open, before the low angled shot of the protagonist. With this in mind I moved the clip of the close up shot after the low angled shot and was satisfied with it. 



After I had finished adding the sounds and effects to the last scene, this was the outcome of the whole opening. 

With the sound and the refined editing of the blinking effects, the scene had smoother transitions to make the blinking effects more realistic, and the sound added suspense which will lead up to the dramatic reveal of the true protagonist and narrator at the end.     

No comments:

Post a Comment