Sunday 1 November 2015

Practical Task - Production Company Opening

Production Company Opening - Rouge Films

Photoshop

Logo

First I decided to choose a name for my production company. I knew I wanted to use something French as the genre film noir derives from France and even means "black film" in French. I decided to go with "Film Rouge" because in film noir red is the other prominent colour, however I felt that Film Rouge sounded too similar to Film Noir itself just with a different colour, so in the end decided to go with "Rouge Films" - Red Films. 

I began by creating a logo using Photoshop. I used the font "fangsong", a font designed for Chinese letters however I felt that the English alphabet also looked fitting in it, and put the text in white so later I could use a black background. I then added some layer effects to the text:


At this stage, it looked like this: 


However, I feel like this logo didn't capture enough of the film noir genre. Firstly, I made the full stop red so as to give it a black, white and red colour scheme to fit in with the genre and with the chosen name. I also found a clipart of a magnifying glass, a common symbol associated with detectives, and used it as the 'O' in the logo. The finished logo looks like this:

Company Introduction

As I'm very familiar with Photoshop, I decided to make all the frames on there and import them into a video editing program later. Although this took a while, I found it allowed me to create a decent finished product later on. I began with the background, for which I used this picture: 


As I was creating a production company centred around film noir, I first made it black and white by desaturating it. I decided I wanted to use interesting lighting in my opening, so I began playing around with the lighting effects feature, which looks like this: 

I then chose to use three flood lights coming down from the top of the screen. For this I needed three separate layers as I wanted the lights to turn on at different times. 

Here is the final image with all three lights visible. 


I then added the logo I made earlier over the top and used the tween function to create images of the logo fading in an out. I used these later when putting together my logo in Windows Movie Maker.

Windows Movie Maker

Despite having access to better programs such as Final Cut Pro and Sony Vegas, I decided to use Movie Maker just to put the frames together because it's simple to do and I'm not as used to the other programs, so this would be much quicker. I put all the pictures together and adjusted the times to either 1 second or 0.1 seconds depending on how long I wanted the image to be seen for. 


I then decided to add sound effects for the lights turning on. Luckily, I quickly found the right sound I was looking for from this YouTube video.



This is the final movie maker editing timeline.

Sony Vegas

As windows movie maker is simple and does not allow layered sounds, I then used Sony Vegas Pro to add music over the top. I used the fade handles to make the music fade in and out to make the transition smoother. 











Here is the sound I used:


In future, I'd like to use Sony Vegas for whole projects as it is a much more advanced program and is simple to use when you're used to it.

Final Opening

Here is my final production company title! Overall I think it turned out well however next time I'd like to use less programs to do all the little bits.


No comments:

Post a Comment